The Okanagan Falls wine region is located at the south end of Skaha Lake and north of Vaseux Lake – in other words, between Penticton and Oliver. Some fantastic wineries are located throughout this diverse region that boasts rugged terrain and unique terroir. Okanagan Falls is known for long warm days and cool nights that help retain acidity in the grapes and allow the wines to be crafted with distinctive character and flavour.
Okanagan Falls is now a recognized sub-geographical indicator (SUB GI) in the South Okanagan. This is a huge acknowledgment from the government as to its exceptional terroir.
Okanagan Falls Top Grape Varieties:
- Pinot Noir
- Pinot Gris
The topography of Okanagan Falls is stunning, created thousands of years ago when glaciers covered the region and an ice dam broke at the South end of what is now Vaseux lake.
Notable Wineries In Okanagan Falls:
- Noble Ridge Vineyard & Winery: Website – Wine Tastings and picnics with stunning views of Vaseux Lake. Indoor and outdoor patios + fabulous seasonal events and dinners.
- Stags Hollow Winery: Website – Daily tastings and summer events. Featuring unique grape varieties like Albarino and Dolcetto
- Liquidity Winery: Website – An Artisan approach to winemaking with an awarded restaurant and patio
- Wild Goose Vineyards: Website – Daily tastings and a seasonal BBQ restaurant called Smoke and Oak
- Bonamici Cellars: Website – Italian inspired wines, tastings and vineyard walks
- Blue Mountain Winery: Website – Exclusively estate grown grapes, top sparkling wines and Pinot Noir, appointment only
- Meyer Family Vineyards: Website – Top, internationally recognized Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, wine tastings with food pairings, dog friendly.
- Blasted Church Vineyards: Website – One of the original Okanagan Falls wineries, diverse grape varieties, fabulous views.
- See Ya Later Ranch Winery: Website – Spectacular views, long established winery with fun events
- Nighthawk Vineyards: Website – Daily tastings and delicious pizza
- Synchromesh: Website – top shelf producer of single vineyard Rieslings, also known for Cabernet Franc. Race car fanatics : )
- Rigour & Whimsey: Website – Natural winemakers featuring estate grown whites, gamay and orange wines
- Echo Bay: Website – garagiste producer making a flagship Bordeaux blend + natural whites and moscato
- Black Market Wine Company: Website – In Kaleden, aromatic whites and fun reds with a patio overlooking Skaha lake
- Lakeboat Vineyard and Winery: Website – In Kaleden, tastings and charcuterie offered. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
Cheers and happy sipping!
Katherine McEachnie, DipWSET